Secret Garden is not only a colouring book, but also an inky treasure hunt. Hidden within are all kinds of creatures and curiosities to be sought.
The book opens with a list of things to be found: 63 beatles, 20 songbirds, 116 butterflies, 1 shark... The pages are all black & white, and bare for your little one and/or you to embellish in ebony ink or to flood with colour.
It takes you on a ramble through a secret garden created in beautifully detailed pen-and-ink illustrations. All waiting to be brought to life through colouring, and each sheltering all kinds of tiny creatures just waiting to be found. There are also bits of the garden that still need to be completed by you.
Appeals to all ages, the intricately-realized world of the Secret Garden is both beautiful and inspirational. If you are thinking of getting this great colouring book, you might also want to get Johanna's second colouring book - Enchanted Forest.
Johanna Basford's top tips on getting the very most out of her book:
1. Avoid permanent markers or any pen with a heavy or very wet ink flow (like Sharpies or Crayolas).
2. Test your pens somewhere sneaky at the back just in case they bleed or smudge.
3. If they do, try another variety.
4. A little heavy handed? Try a lighter touch - soft sweeping strokes instead of prolonged nib to paper contact (avoid 'scrubbing' or going over the same area repeatedly).
5. Don't forget coloured pencils! The smudge proof alternative!
6. Take inspiration from fellow colouring-in artists.
About the Author
Johanna Basford is an illustrator and ink evangelist who creates intricate and hand-drawn illustrations rooted in the flora and fauna that surrounds her home in rural Scotland. Her most famous colouring book is the "Secret Garden: An Inky Treasure Hunt and Colouring Book".
- Publisher : Laurence King Publishing
- Country of Publication : England
- Number of Pages : 96
- Dimensions (cm): 25 x 25 x 1